Who We Are
Basics is bringing together fresh ingredients, nutritious recipes and cooking classes under one roof to simplify shopping and promote good health. We’re a collective of farmers, entrepreneurs, culinary experts, nutritionists and natural foods veterans inspired to nurture health through food. Interested in our story and what we’re building? Read on and visit our website at: https://basicsmarket.com/
Our company is looking for a retail associate who enjoys building connections with the public and is interested in the local food economy, nutrition and building their retail work experience. The position will be focused on assisting our customers by providing information about our meat products, answering customer questions, cutting, grinding and displaying products and supporting our various departments within the location. An ideal candidate will have previous retail and meat department experience along with a commitment to providing customers with an exceptional service experience.
Responsible for building connections with the public and interested in the local food economy, nutrition and building their deli and retail work experience. The position will focus on assisting our customers by responding to questions and requests, making product recommendations and providing samples. Utilize previous prepared foods and retail experience along with a commitment to providing customers with an exceptional service experience.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities:
· Provides exceptional customer service through sampling, informing, listening and engaging with our customers.
· Assists in maintaining prepared foods cases, exterior property and back room conditions, ensuring a positive and safe customer experience.
· Works in and supports all departments within the store including Meat, Grocery, Cashiering, and Produce.
· Maintains a clean and organized work area.
· Builds and takes down displays, product rotation and receiving.
· Follows all food and work safety guidelines.
Additional Position-Specific Responsibilities
· Helps customers locate, choose and buy products.
· Weighs, labels, packages and makes products ready for sale.
· Cooks and follows standardized recipes.
· Stocks and organizes displays and showcases.
Customer Service Responsibilities
· Engages the customer in a friendly manner, shares product information and seeks opportunities to exceed customer expectations and enhance the customer experience.
· Adapts service based on customer needs, handles difficult customer situations and seeks solutions to delight the customer.
Facilities, Sanitation, Work Safety and Food Safety Responsibilities
· Adheres to work and food safety policies set forth by the company and regulatory agencies.
· Performs janitorial tasks in compliance with sanitation standards established by store policy and state and local health departments. Contributes to store cleanliness.
· Maintains equipment, informs store/department management of any problems.
· Reports all safety concerns and work-related injuries to management.
· Frequent handwashing is required.
· Actively contributes to a positive and supportive work environment.
· Gives and receives feedback in a constructive manner. Responds to feedback in order to improve performance.
· Speaks up. Shares ideas and feedback that contributes to success of store and company.
· Conserves company resources. Works in a manner consistent with company Vision, Mission and Values and sustainability program.
· Observes all company rules and policies.
· Performs other duties and tasks as assigned.
Education and Qualification Requirements
· GED or equivalent High School Diploma, college degree preferred.
· 1 year of experience as a Deli Clerk or in a related position.
· 1-2 years of experience in supporting customers in a retail outlet.
· Valid Food Handlers Certification or must acquire within 30 days of hire.
Knowledge, Skills & Ability Requirements
· Operating knowledge of weighing scales and cheese slicers.
· Ability to understand and follow instructions and regulations regarding food safety and sanitation.
· Experience in activities such as prep work, weighing, packaging, labeling, etc.
· Friendly and customer service oriented, with an interest in food and cooking.
· Ability to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations during busy periods.
· Demonstrates an adaptable and flexible work style, shifting tasks as priorities and circumstances change.
· Demonstrates ability to multi-task and manage own time. Able to adjust priorities, productivity, efficiency and speed based on needs and conditions of department.
· Self-motivated and able to work independently, as well as cooperatively within a team.
· Understands and can consistently follow through on verbal and written directions.
· Able to interact with the general public and some special needs and persons, coworkers and the public.
· Basic math and computation skills required.
· Skills to plan, prioritize and delegate work.
· Skills to work independently, effectively manage own time and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
· Skills to adapt to the shifting priorities and needs of a retail environment.
· Skills to exercise good judgment at all times.
· Self-motivated, with high attention to detail, quality and presentation.
· Skills to collaborate and communicate effectively and professionally in a team environment and one on one with coworkers, supervisors and customers.
· Skills to read, understand and follow through on verbal and written instructions.
· Ability to maintain a flexible schedule in order to meet needs of the department.
· Ability to reliably meet required work schedule and adhere to company attendance policy.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Duties performed are in a grocery store and deli environment, which includes surfaces that can be wet and slippery and temperature extremes in controlled environments in the cooler, and also outdoor exposure. The noise level is usually moderate. This role may be exposed to dust, mold, gluten, fragrances and other fumes and airborne particles, fresh fruits, vegetables, house plants, and flowers; also requires use of – and working in proximity to – common commercial cleaning agents. This position may be required to use knives, box cutters, slicer, scale, temp gun, cart, hand truck, dishwasher, pallet jack, computer, and office equipment. This position may also be working on or around moving machinery or moving parts.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The duties of this role are at a moderate work level. While performing this job, the employee is continuously required to be on their feet with a mix of standing and walking throughout the shift. Sitting is seldom required. The employee is continuously required to lift up to 10 pounds, use arms, hands and wrists, grasp/squeeze; frequently required to lift 11-50 pounds, carry 10-20 pounds, push/pull up to 30 pounds, bend/stoop, twist, reach at/above shoulder, reach below shoulder; and occasionally required to carry 21-50 pounds, push/pull 31-80 pounds and crouch/squat. May also require frequent climbing of stairs and ladders, depending on the store location.
Job Type: Full-time